Stockton

The first Shout in Stockton is John Shout (1738 – 1781) who  married  Mary Hoggart (1738 – 1814) in 1761 at Holy Trinity Kings Court, York. They had 13 children:-

Benjamin (dates unknown);

William (? -1758);

Mary (1757 – 1758);

Margaret (1760 – ? );

William (1767 – 1763);

Robert (1763 – 1843) thought to be  Robert the sculptor and plaster figure maker in London q.v.;

Mary (1766 – ? );

John (1769 – 1826) thought to be John the shipowner of Portsmouth and London q.v.;

Frances ( ?- 1771);

William ( born before 1774);

Mary (born before 1774);

Jane Maria (1776 – ? );

Ann (1779 – ? ).

1-1-dscf0001

John is described as an engineer in his burial record. His greatest claim to fame is probably the market Cross (actually an obelisk) adjacent to the Market Place in Stockton, shown to the left. This was erected in 1768.  He was also briefly the harbour engineer in Sunderland and worked on the Tyne bridge with his brother Robert.

His gravestone reads “Here lies the body of John Shout, late Engineer of the port of Sunderland. He died June 14 1781 aged 43 years. On tombs enconiums are but vainly spent, a virtuous life is the best monument”